Over the last few weeks I have discussed the first two values of the Worship Arts Conservatory, which are:
The third value is World Class Education. Our website states …
God deserves the highest quality praise we can offer, therefore we will:
- Train up our students to the highest standards of education.
- Be a world recognized center for worship education and scholarship.
- Offer an education that extends beyond the walls of the conservatory.
The Conservatory tagline is “Trained and Skilled for Worship”, which is taken from 1 Chronicles 25:7. The worship leaders in the Temple, as set up by David, were all trained musicians. They were not only naturally skilled musicians, but they were also trained for the task.
It is our desire to help artists become trained for the task of serving God. One of the ways we will accomplish this is by offering college level education. That means:
- A 3 credit course will require 3 hours of seat time per week for a complete semester.
- The instructors will need to have a masters degree or higher.
- We will be striving to be accredited as soon as possible so we can offer degrees rather than diplomas.
Another way we will ensure we have a quality education is by requiring the students to practice their skills in a real-world situation. To accomplish this we will have a practicum or internship as part of most programs of study.
Of course, there are many other factors that can help a training institute to have high quality education, such as quality of teachers, curriculum, and student/teacher ratio. What other factors do you think are important to a good education? Please leave a comment.
by Jerry Wyrick, President of Worship Arts Conservatory