This summer we have had our largest enrollment yet. We have 8 students and three courses including:
- Instrumental Ensemble
- Design I
- Elements of Music
Most of these students have shown interest in continuing with us next term. Our goal for Fall term enrollment is 20 students. Please pray that God connects us with the people that will benefit from our training.
Wind Ensemble Concert
“WAC under the direction of Dr. Wyrick is simply outstanding. Their heart to partner with what God is doing in the city of Detroit and beyond is amazing. Their hearts are so focused on the Lord and their professional musical talents/accomplishments will combine to train future generations of quality musicians in a truly unique Christian College. We had them for a concert and were simply blessed. Be sure to partner with this outstanding ministry!!!!!” – Pastor Mathew Vroman, Eastside Community Church Senior Pastor
On July 17 we held our first wind ensemble concert. The ensemble included faculty, students and a few “friends” who joined us to help fill in parts.
Our concert included the following pieces:
- This Is Amazing Grace – by Jeremy Riddle, Josh Farro and Phil Wickham
- Alleluia – by Randall Thompson
- Sinfonia Spirituoso – by Georg Philipp Telemann
- Simple Gifts – by Aaron Copland
- Alleluia – by Leonardo Leo
- Fantasie on “Ein’ Feste Burg” – by Charles Evans
- Victor’s Crown – by Darlene Zschech, Israel Houghton, Kari Jobe
For many of the musicians this is the only place they can use their God given talent for playing an instrument for the glory of God. Our concert was held at Eastside Community Church. It was a pleasure to meet the people of this young church located on Kelly Road just south of 9 mile.
“I signed up for MUS-251: Instrumental Ensemble this summer, and can not say enough about the experience. What an honor and blessing to perform with such talented musicians on a rich blend of full orchestral and contemporary worship pieces from the 1600’s to the 2000’s. Will definitely sign up again in the fall!” – Paula Draper
Our main focus has now switched over to Fall term. We currently have 12 instructors considering teaching in the Fall. We will be offering courses in
Some of the courses will be held in our new location at 2727 2nd Avenue, Detroit and some will be held online. Please pray for our faculty as they prepare and pray that God would lead enough students to us that they could offer their courses.
This is the hardest part of the update to write. I am greatly encouraged by what I see God doing through Worship Arts Conservatory, but there is one area of significant need. That area is finances.
We have gifts from over 60 different donors but most of these gifts are one time donations. These gifts will take us into September but will not get us through the end of the Fall term. It costs between $4000 and $5000 per month to run the Conservatory.
In addition to my salary we have general expenses related to rent, student management software, advertising and other miscellaneous expenses. We need about $15,000 to take us through December.
Maybe you are wondering why student tuition doesn’t cover these costs. There are a couple reasons for this:
- Our student body is too small at this time to cover the costs. As our student body grows the tuition will gradually carry more of the expenses. Currently our tuition covers faculty compensation but not administrative and general expenses.
- Our tuition rates are artificially low at this time in order to attract students to our new institution. Without name recognition and accreditation it is necessary for us to have low rates. It is our plan to gradually raise the rates starting 2017.
What will your donation accomplish? Here are a few donation amounts and what they would cover:
- $25 per month – pays for phone or P.O. Box.
- $80 per month – pays for rent of current facility. An amazing deal!
- $200 per month – pays for one month of radio advertising on one station. We really need to expand this to multiple stations and other sources of advertising.
- $435 – pays for State Licensing Fee for new location
- $2000 – pays for a professional video or one postcard mailing
- $5000 – pays for one month of expenses
- $15,000 – pays our expenses through the end of the year.
In addition to these costs we have the goal of becoming accredited. Accreditation is incredibly expensive. Just to start the process will cost us $6,500-$8,000. Additionally there are auditing fees, review fees and consultation fees. On top of those costs are the operational costs of meeting accreditation requirements such as:
- Full time President and Provost
- Full time faculty
- On site Library
- Exclusive use facilities
As you can see we have many current needs and when we seek accreditation an even higher need.
So what does that mean for you? I believe if God has called us to have an accredited worship college in Detroit then He must have a plan for providing the necessary resources. He has connected you with us and given you an interest in our ministry for a reason.
It may be that you cannot provide any financial help. But do you know someone who can? Will you pray for God to connect us with the right people. The popular idea that we are only six degrees of separation from everyone else in the world suggests that you may know someone who could help me connect with a person who could donate significantly. Please take a few moments to pray about this need and consider who you know who could help.
It may be that you could give more but are waiting to see what God is going to do. We are now beginning to see the fruit of 3 years of preparation. Your generous donation, whether $25 per month or $15,000 per year, will help us realize the results of all our careful preparation.
To donate online please click here.
Or mail your check made out to the “Worship Arts Conservatory” to:
Worship Arts Conservatory
535 Griswold St. Suite 111-251
Detroit, MI 48226
Also, don’t forget these simple ways to help us out for free:
- Amazon Smile – Instead of buying from amazon.com, go to smile.amazon.com and select Worship Arts Conservatory (the one located in Grosse Pointe Woods – our legal address.) You can buy the same things but WAC will receive a percentage of your purchase.
- Kroger – If you have a Kroger Plus Card you can sign up at KrogerCommunityRewards.com and choose us as your charity. Our organization number is 30960. Every time you make a purchase using your Kroger Plus Card a percentage will be donated by Kroger to us.