Score, September 12
Our next big event is our first annual fundraising banquet. This has been quite the undertaking and I hope you are able to come and enjoy it. To be honest our ticket sales are much lower than anticipated so please help us out by getting your tickets today.
Our main speaker is Don Carey. Mr. Carey is a safety and special teams ace for the Detroit Lions. I came across Don when he spoke at a church event. He is not only an excellent football player (in 2015 Carey led the NFL in solo special teams tackles), respected community leader (nominated in 2016 for Walter Payton award), and author, but he is also a student of the Bible. He hopes to complete a masters in Old Testament studies at Moody once his football career is complete.
Don’t miss this dynamic speaker! He will be talking about how to score in life. This theme of making the most of your life is also the topic of his new book, “It’s Not Because I’m Better Than You!” Signed copies of his book will be available at the banquet.
If this is not enough to entice you to come. We also have Brandon Roux, WDIV Channel 4 weatherman as our MC, Music by the Worship Arts Conservatory Instrumental Ensemble and some very intriguing auction items.
Some of the items you will find at the auction include
- Detroit Lions Autographed football
- Golf for 4
- A week in a manor house in Brittany France.
So, get your tickets and join us at this fun banquet on September 12 and don’t forget to bring some friends with you! Click the button below to purchase your tickets.
Can you believe I am already talking about Christmas? But that is how it works for musicians. I have to start planning now for Christmas so that our ensemble can have time to learn the music. Every year I look for two or three place for the ensemble to play at Christmas. Let me know if your church is interested in having WAC come and present a Christmas concert.
As I mentioned in our last update, our next big step as a college is to start attracting full time students and students dedicated to a full program of study. This will allow us to better plan out our future schedule of courses, make more accurate budget projections and get us on track for accreditation. Over the last month I have been considering how we might move toward making this a reality. Here are a few ideas that I have been considering:
- Worship Weekends – I would like to start hosting weekend youth events focused on training in worship. These events would be for High School and college age and would feature intense instruction in worship ending in a worship concert featuring the students. I would like to do this in multiple locations around the city to help get the word out, in a very visible way, what Worship Arts Conservatory is all about: training the next generation of pastors and worship artists.
- WAC Worship Team – I would like to start a worship team made up of High School and college age students. This would be an audition only group that could help with worship at various events. If you know of anyone who might want to be part of this, please let me know.
- Interns – The task of trying to grow WAC is significantly more than what one person can handle. Although I have a few volunteers and a board assisting me, we could use some more dedicated workers. This next couple of months I am going to investigate what it would take to get some interns to help with specific tasks. This would be both a benefit to us and to the intern. Once again, let me know if you can think of anyone who would be interested or if you can help with this process.
- Grant Writer – One of the biggest challenges for most non-profits is securing the funds to operate. One area of income that we have not effectively pursued is grants. We have not pursued this primarily because of lack of time and expertise. I would love to find someone to assist us in this very important area. Let me know if you are experienced in this area and would like to help.
- New Students – Continue to pray for enrollment for this term. Students can still register for classes this week. Also, be praying for wisdom in finding full time students. Pray that God would lead us to students who are a perfect fit for our programs.
- New Courses – Pray for our new courses which begin this week. Pray that the teachers and students would have a great term together.
- Next Steps – Pray concerning the next steps that I have outlined above. Pray that God would lead us to know which, if any, of these steps are beneficial and how to best accomplish the tasks.
- Finances – As always, continue to pray that God would supply all of our needs according to His riches.
- Spiritual Warfare – I am a firm believer that we are in a battle that is much greater than anything we can see. As the apostle Paul reminds us, our struggle is not against flesh and blood. I have felt especially under attack the last month and would appreciate your prayers for encouragement, strength and wisdom. WAC is in a spiritual battle with the powers of Satan as we develop a place in Detroit to train the next generation of church leaders. I believe that Detroit needs this college and that Satan would love to stop us from developing a stable and effective Christian college in Detroit. You can help in this battle by praying for WAC. I appreciate your prayers and support.