Video Blog Transcript (5:09)
Hello my name is Aaron Welch and I’m excited to be a part of the Worship Arts Conservatory teaching the Worship Band Techniques class. It is a phenomenal class teaching how to grow in our ability to lead in a band setting.
I’ve been a worship pastor for over 20 years, and am currently the associate pastor at Solid Rock Bible Church in Plymouth MI where I oversee the Worship Arts Ministry. My Father was a worship pastor for 40 year and I’m blessed to have spent nearly all my life invested in some way or another in the worship arts field.
In Matthew 22:36-40 Jesus was asked what was the greatest commandment in the law. Jesus replied by saying, “Love the Lord Your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself.” He was summing up the entire Old Testament when we said the highest priority of man is to love and worship God.
And if worshipping God is the highest calling of man I’m excited to be working with those who have been called into this ministry; particularly in regards to teaching the “Worship Band Techniques” class at WAC.
In 1 Thessalonians 4 Paul tells his readers, “We instructed you how to live in order to please God, as in fact you are living, now we ask you and urge you in the Lord Jesus to do this more and more.” This idea of growing in your faith and in the skill set in which you have been called is an important endeavor. In the parable of the talents we see the expectation that the Lord places on us for growth. This class is all about growing in our ability to lead and worship within the worship band setting.
So here is a glimpse of what we will be doing in this class this year:
- Role of instruments: the role of each instrument is so important to understand. Each instrument has a unique place within the band.
- Role of Vocals: The vocal team is really the pre-eminent instrument in the worship band, how do they fit into the structure?
- Role of the Leader: This is so important to understand. The role of the leader changes within different musical settings and styles. How does the leader lead in a worship band setting?
- Communication: Communicating between those who have various musical backgrounds. Getting these people to communicate clearly is an importnant skill set for the worship band leader.
- Rehearsal Techniques:
Rehearsal is the name of the game for a worship band. We will talk through a “Rehearsal Guide” where we would fill out and clearly communicate things like:
- Purpose, Theme, Structure
- Flow and climax
- Transcendent Moments (Nancy Beach)
- Transitions, Intros and Outros
So we invite you to join this class this semester. The Worship Arts Conservatory is a great entity, and if you are sitting on the sidelines looking in—come on and join us for “Worship Band Techniques” so you can grow in your skill set for leading in worship.
Interested in learning more about Worship Band Techniques? Click below.
Don’t let your friends miss out on this great course. Please share this post so others can Start Here.